Recently I attended two speaking engagements. I had to speak on addiction in the first and on ADHD and Anxiety Disorders in the second. As I researched these topics I came to one resounding theme, our hearts and bodies are crying, no screaming for more. Every year more and more medications are prescribed for anxiety and depression. Every day more and more people are faced with the fact that they are indeed addicted to something.
When we speak of addiction we generally speak of a drug, or
an action that produces a feeling of relief or reward. So many approaches to addiction come in the
form of avoiding a certain outlet. You’re
an alcoholic, don’t drink alcohol and attend a group or therapy. You’re a shopaholic, don’t spend, freeze your
credit card in a block of ice and call your support group. The list goes on and on. Now let me be clear, I am not advocating that
we not deal with the particular issue that we find ourselves hopelessly and
compellingly drawn toward. Rather when
we avoid one addiction we quickly find another.
The issue is not the outlet of choice.
That is the effect to the cause.
Recently I was in the airport, which seems to be a regular
staple in my diet. While I was waiting for my flight I watched a child, who was
obviously tired and completely over the airport experience, clinging to his
mother. She looked tired as well. Her response to her child’s constant clinging
wasn’t to hold him and allow him to rest peacefully. Rather in her exhaustion she reached in to
her bag and pulled out an Ipad. She handed it to the boy and immediately his
gaze turned from the affection of his mother to the shiny touch screen. He played nonstop for the next forty-five
minutes. He made no sound and was
content with the electronic embrace of unlimited apps and Angry Birds. I am not criticizing the mother. When it’s late and you are sitting in those
incredibly uncomfortable plastic chairs after being herded like cattle through
one line after the other there will be exhaustion. She after all was giving what she had to give
in the moment. She wanted rest as much
as he did. Actually, as I watched him
playing I gazed around the corridor and I saw teens, adults, and even some of
the more elderly adults sitting quietly texting, playing apps, surfing the web
looking for something to fill the void of sitting in a sterile and transient
environment. We are wired at our core
and from birth to seek stimulation. It’s
what we hunger for, it is what we are addicted too and this begs the question,
why?
Eventually as my gaze returned to the little boy I thought
about his original expression. He wanted
to be held, he wanted to feel safe and comfortable and he sought that from his
Mother. When we look for safety as children,
and again this is a snapshot not a judgment of a tired mom, and we are given an
engaging distraction what does this produce in us over the long term?
Over time our brain normalizes distractions and we crave
stimulation once again. Why do we crave? Simply put, it is just who we are. What do we crave?, I believe this is the
grandmother of all questions. In the
moment we crave the thing that fills the immediate need, but under the layers
of coping strategies, habits and yes addictions I believe we crave something
more, something that can not be normalized.
If it cannot be normalized it must be greater than our need, infinitely
greater.
I have written in the past about my own childhood. It was filled with anger, abuse and
neglect. I found my outlet in
books. My best friends when I was twelve
were men like C.S. Lewis and Ernest Hemingway.
Lewis covered the constant grappling with God’s greatness and our
inability to understand it in the midst of pain and suffering. Hemingway covered the endless searching and
pain that comes from seeking in empty places.
Lewis would dissect love and loss and turn it in to something
greater. He took children and put them
in the hands of good but unsafe lion to be saved from those that sought to
destroy them. What a paradox that is to
unpack.
Hemingway took an old man in a tiny boat and pushed him to
the edge of his existence in an epic battle with the catch of his life.
Both men in their lifetimes fought through huge and painful
circumstances. At one point after the
death of his wife, Joy, he even said that, “pain is God’s megaphone to rouse a
deaf world”. In the process of losing
his wife he learned something greater than the philosophical and academically
based idea of love, he learned of the experience of love and sadly loss. He adopted his wife’s son Douglas and raised
him as his own. Years ago at a lecture I
met with Douglas. He was a cheerful man
with a grand sense of humor. He had
become a pilot and loved adventure. His
childhood was a broken one. His mother
fled from the States with him, leaving behind an angry and abusive husband and
finding England and Lewis. Lewis was
much older than Joy and had his share of adjustments to make from being a
confirmed academic bachelor to a husband and Father. Shortly after the marriage of Joy and Lewis,
Douglas faced the loss of the one parent that stayed with him. In the short time I spent with him I could
see in Douglas a love and desire that cannot be learned it has to be
experienced.
Hemingway who was known for his ability to avoid pain
through the bottle and the typewriter took his own life, alone and
depressed. He was a regular haunt at a
bar called Sloppy Joe’s in Key West. I
remember sitting under a picture of him having a pint just wondering what his
days must have been like sitting in the same place.
I am in complete awe of both men as writers and adventurers
in their own right but in the adventure of love I have found Hemingway at a
loss.
I remember reading Hemingway as a child and I felt like I
was there in the moment with the characters.
Most of them were men that had suffered and were battle weary from rough
lives full of loss and looking for that moment of redemption. I related to that. I was a child that had seen more than his
share of abandonment and violence. I had
attended to overdoses and suicide attempts with some regularity by the time I
was a man.
These pains, they build walls inside of us. They drive us to look for safe
stimulation. Safe, in the sense that our
hearts are not exposed. We are masterful
at composure in the right moments and brave with many risks but at the root we
crave the very same thing that a little boy, unaware of an observer, sitting in
an airport crave. We want to be loved
and accepted as we are. We are worn and
weathered and have so many complicated defenses that distract us from it, and
turn those we love away, but it’s there.
I have often asked the question is it harder to know someone
or be known by someone. I believe it’s
the latter. I am terrified that if you
knew the real me that you would run for the hills. I’m skillfully avoidant, and carefully
allusive. These are the habits that you
learn with a family that uses their hands for things other than embrace. Deep down inside I believe that I am a lost
cause and that if you knew the real me you would say the same. At the low points in my life I’ve been told
this very thing even to the point that I was not someone that one should cast
their pearls before. I lived for years
with the notion that my train wreck was somehow different that yours or anyone
else’s. I thought that I was inherently
flawed and I lived years swaying between trying so hard to make up for the
lacking and just giving up and destroying any ground that had made.
The reality is that I am inherently flawed and that I
shouldn’t be surprised when I fail. My
issue is that I thought that was the sum total of the man I was. I was addicted to my own shame in ways that
drove me to my own addictions. I
eventually became conditioned to the idea that I was and always be a lost
cause. I believed that I was a monster
and I treated myself the way that a monster should be treated. I disconnected, I disappeared, I caged myself
so that I could do no harm to those who deserved more than a monster. I had chosen the path of Hemingway and was
headed for the same self destructive path that I had been raised to expect.
In the moments that came when I reached the bottom there
were men, braver than Hemingway, more intact than Lewis that stood beside me
and fought for me. At first I remember
being so suspicious. I didn’t know what
trust was much less how to offer it to anyone.
They were relentless, they would call and invite me for lunch, for
dinner, for fishing trips. They chased
me down and would not let me be content with the monster that I saw in the
mirror.
To this day when I am counseling I imagine them in the room
and I wonder how they would handle things.
They have seen my tears, my terror,
my inner demons and looked at me as if to say is that it? Is that all
that’s wrong with you? We love you
man! These men have been the parents
that stood with men when I begged like a weary child in an airport to be
embraced. Instead of distraction they
handed me a new world a new life. They
mirrored the love that they knew, not necessarily from their own childhood
memories but from the love they experienced from a God that pursued them just
as relentlessly as they did me. They
taught me to love myself and to love Jesus.
They didn’t give me books but gave me the experience, the experience
that Douglas had with Lewis and God still uses these men to this day as I am
learning to pursue those that God brings to me, weary and broken carrying their
own inner monsters and shame.
If addiction is a way of filling something that the action
can never satisfy then it must be an endless void that we are trying to
fill. It will only come through and
endless source and that endless source comes to us through those that He
chooses to send to us when we are dying and broken on the side of road waiting
for judgment. It is at that moment when
we have come to then end of ourselves and have no where to run, nothing to
offer; it is in that moment that we are met by those that He sends and in the
words of Lewis, we are, “Surprised by Joy”.
You still treat yourself unfairly, my brother. Come out and smell the flowers that are growing around you. The seeds have long been sown, and you had no idea. You still dwell in your cocoon. We are not running for the hills (partly because there are no hills to run to around here), and we ask that YOU stop running. You are loved, and we are waiting for you to love yourself.
ReplyDelete